Tuesday, June 14, 2011

2 Exaggerations and an Understatement.

So, I’ve been here in El Sal for a few days, and there are some things that aren’t really the way people told me they would be.  I feel two truths and a lie is a little too strong…how about two exaggerations and an understatement?

Exaggeration:  The dance clubs here are really sketchy.  Reality:  Six of us decided to go to a discoteca on Friday.  Everyone was telling me that they were full of smoke and drunk guys and it’s scary to be there after dark.  The guys made sure we knew that if some guy approached us, we would just tell him that we had a boyfriend and go stand with one of them.  I was feeling pretty nervous after hearing all this, but we were going with some guys from the team and I knew they’d keep us safe. However, when we arrived, it was the nicest part of El Salvador I’d been in yet.  It was spacious and well lit, and there were people sitting in outdoor restaurants and things like that.  We asked a couple of police officers how to get to a specific discoteca and they directed us.  When we walked in, the air was FULL of smoke.  However, I soon noticed that it was because they periodically released dry ice fog from the ceiling.  There were a couple of smokers too.  Secondly, they were playing reggeaton, which is fast dance music, and everyone was just dancing with their friends and/or significant other.  A few people came and chatted with us, but everyone was super polite and dressed up really nicely.  One guy asked me to come sit down with him at this table with him for a minute, but I told him that I was there with my friends and he just smiled and thanked me for dancing with him and walked away.  It was the cleanest, safest, most polite dance place I’ve ever been; including the States.  PS, don’t worry, this doesn’t mean I’m letting my guard down at all. It was just nice that something I was a little nervous about turned out to be very comfortable for me. 

Exaggeration:  It’s going to be hot every day.  Reality:  it’s actually really pleasant a lot of the time.  About every other day, the humidity has been killer, but it hasn’t been too hot or killer sunny, and now we’re approaching the rainy season, so it’ll just get cooler; and rainier.  Speaking of rain,

Understatement:  The rain starts really soon and is really powerful.  Reality:  holy cow.  Yes.  Last night, Travis, Mia, Megan and I were walking out of Super Selectos, which, as the name implies, is a lovely little grocery/convenience store for all your shopping needs.  It’s in a shopping center, and suddenly we heard a loud noise.  I thought it might be a loud car driving by, but it didn’t stop.  We realized the rain was pounding on the roof.  We were a little upset.  None of us had umbrellas, and I honestly don’t think they’d have done much good.  We were soaked to the bone before we got to the bus stop.  After we got off the bus, we walked to our house (no point running anymore) and we crossed the street and found ourselves in a river of a gutter, almost up to our knees, or as we say here, Rio en el Calle!!!

Exaggeration:  The humidity makes your hair curlier.  Reality:  Um, who made up this lie?  The humidity definitely makes my hair frizzy, but it’s soo much flatter than back home in Utah where it’s dry.  One good thing though, is that my skin has been awesome in this humidity.  Happy skin, sad hair:( 

Exaggeration:  you see gangs everywhere in El Salvador.  Reality: The gangs here are really subtle.  You don’t even notice them unless you look closely.  Salvadoran gangs used to be famous for marking themselves with massive tattoos, but the younger gang members don't do that as much anymore.  I’ve just kind of been hanging on for the ride the last few days… but I haven’t noticed any gang members.  This is probably not a great thing, because you don’t really know who is dangerous and who is not.  However, we just assume everyone we interact with could be dangerous and accordingly don’t trust anyone we don’t know well.

Understatement:  The house will be crowded.  Reality:  We have six girls living in one small room.  There are 28 people living in our house.  In a few days a couple of boys and one girl will move out.  Then we’ll only have to sleep five to a room:D  I think the hardest thing for me is not being able to know where my stuff is and find it when I need it.  On Wednesday, I get to move into a five girl room, and then I think my stuff will be more organized.  The only place I have to put my stuff in the house is under my cot.  The only place.  Oh yes, and we all share one small fridge:)

Exaggeration:  Everyone here has been to the states, knows someone who’s been there, or has relatives there.  Reality:  Yeah.  Ha.  There have been several people who speak English, or are willing to speak English.  Everyone else speaks a very slurred Spanish.   It’s been really hard for me to understand, but I feel like my Spanish is already getting better after just a few days here.  The team has been really helpful though, and everyone’s letting me practice my espanol with them and ask them repetitive and usually dumb questions:)

Exaggeration:  The busses here are awful.  Reality:  The bus systems here are amazing.  They are very fast and reliable, and the bus drivers know where everything is.  We still are quiet and try to speak only in epanol, but the busses here are more comfortable to me than the ones in Salt Lake, because everyone uses them, not just the creepy people:)

Understatement:  You will love the people there.  Reality:  I’ve only met some of the people we’re working with one or two times, and I already love them.  They are incredible.  They want to know if I’m coming back, and when, and if I’ll practice my Spanish.  They’re so kind and forgiving of my poor language skills.  A couple of my favorite places we’ve been are CIPI, a home for young abused girls, and La Crea, a home for recovering drug addicts for adult women.  I'm a project head for our new programs at La Crea, and I'm so excited to start getting some things done. The women are just amazing.  They have been through so much, yet they are still hopeful.  They have had horrifying experiences, but their souls are so deep.  Some of the new ones are still really closed off, but it’s amazing to look into the eyes of an eleven year old girl from a rough background and see fear, but behind that, curiosity, hope, trust, and the ability to heal.  I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, it sounds like you're into something really amazing here. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I look forward to more posts!

    -Cassandra

    ReplyDelete